The district hired Hannum under a one-year contract that will start in July. However, instead of taking Nelson’s position, PAISD Superintendent Dr. Sharon Doughty decided to assign Hannum to the Brundrett Middle School principal position while the current principal, Gina McKeever, will take Nelson’s position at H.G Olsen Elementary School. The superintendent has administrative authority and responsibility for the assignment, supervision and evaluation of all personnel of the district other than her own.
Doughty said she believes Hannum will be a great fit for the middle school and also that McKeever has all the experience needed to work as an elementary school principal, since she was an elementary schoo teacher before becoming Brundrett Middle School principal.
The board unanimously agreed to follow Doughty’s choice.
“We voted 7-0 and we look forward to having him joining our district,” PAISD Board of Trustees President Michelle Lorette commented.
Hannum was very pleased when he heard the news.
“I was ecstatic,” he said. “I wanted to work here for many years and I attempted to come last year. I am ready to finally come to Port Aransas.”
Hannum, 44, has been working in education for 16 years. He started teaching English at Rockport Middle School before becoming the assistant principal. He is currently working as the Bloomington Middle School principal.
Hannum is ready to start at the middle school, even though he applied to work at the elementary school.
“I love middle school, it’s a fun group,” he said. “All my experience has been with this age group, so I like that.”
McKeever was concerned about the switch, but her doubts quickly faded.
“I was reluctant at first to even consider the position,” McKeever said. “Then I saw the candidates who were all excellent candidates and I met Michael during the interview. I just felt like: ‘what am I thinking? This is the position he should have because he can take it to that next level that they are ready to go.’ I really feel he is the person that can do it.”
McKeever is also excited to go back to Olsen.
“That is where my heart has been from early in my education,” she explained. “I am ready to bring all of the different things that I’ve had experienced as a leader here, back to the elementary school. I am really excited.”
Nelson is pleased to know that McKeever will replace her.
“It makes me more confident about leaving,” she said. “I know the teachers and the students will be in good hands.”
For the moment, Hannum does not have any plans for Brundrett Middle School.
No comments:
Post a Comment